OHAAT currently runs a program called Beds for Kids (BFK), which provides disadvantaged children living in the Philadelphia area with a basic, but overlooked, need. Every child in the program receives a twin bed, bedding, and supplementary items that encourage healthy bedtime habits, like books, toothbrushes and stuffed animals. OHAAT purchases the beds from various manufacturers, and bedding and supplementary items are donated, sorted, and packaged by individuals and partner organizations—churches, social groups, and businesses. Everything is delivered directly to the homes of children in need, thanks to OHAAT’s 15-foot box truck and 100+ volunteers.
Here at Jarrettown United Methodist Church, we help OHAAT throughout the year in one or more of the following ways:
- By Donating Funds: A donation of just $211 provides a child with a twin-size bed frame, box spring, mattress, mattress cover, sheet set, blanket, pillow, book pack, stuffed animal, and toothbrush. Checks should be addressed to “One House at a Time” and mailed to 411 Susquehanna Rd. Ambler, PA 19002. Donations can also be made by credit card on OHAAT’s website,www.ohaat.org/donate.
- By Donating Sheets and Blankets: Help collect new or like-new sheets and blankets (twin or full-size only). Clear out your linen closet or get a group of friends together to make quilts or “no sew” fleece blankets (call 215-346-6427 for more information about no sew fleece). A collection bin for donations is located in the JUMC Mission Center.
- By Donating Gently Used Books appropriate for teen readers.
- By Volunteering with Jarrettown the second Saturday of each month: As a delivery volunteer, you’ll help transport beds from OHAAT’s storage facility in Huntingdon Valley to several homes of children living in and around Philadelphia. If you’re interested in helping, please contact the church office.
- One House at a Time Sew-Haat – The group meets the first Saturday of each month from 9-11 am to make pillowcases (except December). Anyone is welcome to help – all skill levels. Meetings are held at Jarrettown in the Friendship Center. We will also be making no-sew blankets. All pillowcases and no-sew blankets will be given out through OHAAT and their Beds for Kids program. For information contact Nancy Larsen.